Alan K. Steinbrecher
Alan Steinbrecher has over 40 years of litigation experience, with particular emphasis in business, product liability and aviation litigation but with experience in real estate, employment and partnership disputes as well. He is a 1977 graduate of Duke University School of Law, where he was an editor of the Duke Law Journal and a member of the Moot Court Board, and a 1968 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Mr. Steinbrecher has been the lead trial attorney in numerous federal and state court jury and bench trials, as well as commercial, real estate, partnership and international business arbitrations. His trial experience includes:
- A six-month products liability jury trial in which he represented a major chemical company in a lawsuit brought by an airline pilot who alleged personal injury and aviation safety issues arising from the presence of chemicals in the cockpits of commercial airliners;
- A two-month jury trial in which he represented a national bank which was accused by a major land developer of having committed fraud in order to entice the developer into doing a deal with one of the bank’s customers;
- A jury trial in which he represented an technology start-up company in the entertainment industry accused of breaching an oral agreement to share its profits with an alleged founder;
- A three-member international arbitration concerning whether his client, an international franchisor, committed fraud in securing a master franchisee for a Southeast Asia country; and
- Separate arbitrations involving claims of partners of a dissolving law firm to the income from certain active cases, issues raised by a terminated law firm partner over the proper valuation of her capital account and a contract dispute between an entertainment industry transmission company and one of its content providers.
Mr. Steinbrecher has also represented airline and aircraft manufacturers in a variety of cases, including defending claims arising from air crashes. He has a unique expertise in representing airlines during National Transportation Safety Board accident investigations, during both the on-site and technical phases.
Mr. Steinbrecher is a former United States Navy fighter pilot with 177 combat missions flown during the Vietnam War. He retired as a Captain in the United States Naval Reserve. He has served as Chair of the Litigation Department of Paul Hastings LLP, as Chair of the Litigation Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association (“LACBA”), as a member of the Executive Committee of that organization and on its Blue Ribbon Commission. He was President of LACBA for the 2010-2011 term, and a Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference. He is also a past President of San Marino Schools Foundation and San Marino Little League, Vice President of the Board of Trustees of Polytechnic School, Senior Warden of St. Edmunds Episcopal Church and co-chair of the Parents Committee of the University of Virginia.
In 2015, Mr. Steinbrecher received the Jim Robie award from the Litigation Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. The award is given annually to the trial attorney in Los Angeles County that best exemplifies the qualities of professionalism and civility. He has also been recognized as a Super Lawyer. In 2016, Mr. Steinbrecher was appointed by the California Supreme Court to serve as a member of the Board of Trustees of the State Bar of California.
Mr. Steinbrecher’s email address is: [email protected].