Privacy and Data Security Attorneys Los Angeles
Advising Clients on the Evolving Standards in the Online World
As even a quick review of daily headlines demonstrates, companies around the world conduct more and more of their business online, while the challenges to protecting company and customer information multiply. In the United States, Europe and a number of other nations, improving the privacy and security of personal information has been established as a national or regional priority. Yet the details of these efforts remain very much in flux. This legal and regulatory uncertainty has profound implications for all businesses involved in any aspect of electronic commerce.
At Steinbrecher & Span LLP, we have substantial experience counseling clients on personal data privacy and information security matters. We regularly advise clients on the full range of critical issues, including privacy and security regulation, data breach disclosure requirements, and issues specific to the financial services, direct marketing and healthcare industries.
We counsel clients on compliance with all major U.S. data privacy or security regimes, including:
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- CAN-SPAM (the federal e-mail marketing law)
- U.S. state privacy and security requirements
- U.S.-European Union safe harbor privacy principles
We also have substantial experience advising on Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requirements and workplace privacy regimes. We also have extensive experience conducting compliance and other internal investigations, including those arising from data breaches.
We have advised companies in establishing privacy and information security compliance programs, and counseled clients in responding to suspected security breaches and personal data disclosures. Our lawyers routinely advise on:
- The collection and use of employee and consumer personal data, including the export of personal data to countries outside the European Union
- Cybercrime and data breach insurance policies and claims
- Cybercrime incident preparedness, response, breach notifications and related internal and external investigations
- Data sharing, including exploitation of data
- Direct marketing activities
- Disclosure of data to law enforcement authorities
- International data protection compliance programs and audits and responses to government compliance reviews
- Payment card association, post-breach penalties and audits
- Privacy policies, documentation and procedures as well as privacy impact assessments
Work with our Los Angeles business lawyers
Steinbrecher & Span LLP has decades of experience handling business litigation cases, transactions and regulatory issues for high-profile clients in high-stakes matters in Los Angeles. We offer our clients the experience, knowledge and sophistication of a large international law firm, but with the personal attention, responsiveness and value that only a smaller law firm can offer. We would be pleased to help you with your litigation and business needs.