Douglas R. Painter
Douglas Painter is an established business litigator with over twenty-five years of expertise handling all facets of complex commercial disputes. His litigation practice emphasizes business tort, breach of contract, aviation, fiduciary duty, real estate, environmental, professional negligence, trade secret, employment and accounting matters.
Mr. Painter is known in the Los Angeles legal community for his superior courtroom advocacy skills and is admitted to practice before all federal and state courts within California. He received his J.D. in 1987 from the University of California, Davis, where he was awarded Best Oral Advocate, Lead Advocate National Moot Court Team and First Place Winner Neumiller Moot Court Competition.
Mr. Painter has successfully represented clients in virtually all facets of complex litigation, including:
- Cross-examining all financial experts in a $5 billion environmental trial, resulting in the amendment of an environmental consent decree as sought by client.
- Successfully piercing through a celebrity’s trust that had been created to avoid paying personal debt.
- Arguing for and securing a TRO for Mr. Painter to enter and inspect a defendant’s offices, unannounced and without prior notice, so that client could retrieve its records in a $70 million embezzlement case against an investment fund advisor.
- Lead trial and lead appellate counsel in representation of national drug-store chain lessee in breach of high value commercial lease case resulting in favorable judgment.
- Representation of major companies involved in Superfund sites resulting in appropriate allocations/resolutions.
- Representation of national and international accounting firms in securities fraud cases; most dismissed at pleading or summary judgment stage.
Mr. Painter has served as a mediator with the A.D.R. section of the Los Angeles Superior Court, co-chair of the Environmental Law Society of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, a member of the Board of Governors for the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, fee-dispute arbitrator with the San Francisco Bar Association, and as a member of the Board of Governors for the Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association. He has authored several legal publications and articles, including “Preemption Update: Enforceability of Local Labor Laws Impacting the Airline Industry” (the Air & Space Lawyer, American Bar Association), “Meeting Statutory Deadlines, Antitrust” (C.E.B.) and portions of “California Environmental Law Handbook,” 11th edition. Mr. Painter lives in Hollywood and records music as a hobby.
Mr. Painter’s email address is: [email protected].