Richard J. Denney Jr.
Richard Denney has forty years of experience in environmental law and environmental litigation. He literally “wrote the book” on environmental law in California.
Mr. Denney spent a decade as counsel for the United States Environmental Protection Agency. When he left, he was Associate General Counsel. He served as General Counsel for a major chemical corporation, and was partner and co-chair of the National Environmental Practice Groups of the law firms of Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker and Baker & Hostetler. He has represented most major oil companies and other large companies in litigation matters, and counsels clients, big and small, in Superfund and property contamination matters, including CERCLA and RCRA litigation and leasehold disputes.
His experience includes:
- Regular representation of Fortune 500 companies at Superfund sites.
- Representation of a major oil pipeline company in lawsuit alleging contamination at a large California property.
- Lead counsel representing most major oil companies in a lawsuit challenging contribution protection under CERCLA.
- Representation of major oil company in an oil production dispute.
- Representation of and counsel to clients regarding all forms of environmental property issues.
Mr. Denney is the co-editor of eleven editions of the “California Environmental Law Handbook.” He is a graduate of Harvard Law School, and holds a degree in Physics from Stanford University.
Mr. Denney’s email address is: [email protected].